PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The return of the Flipper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: The return of the Flipper Reply with quote

No, not the dolphin -- the reversible optical disc, this time in the guise of a dual-sided (hybrid if you like, but not like SACD) BD/DVD disc. It sounded to me like a fair idea to get consumers to upgrade from DVD to Blu-ray more smoothly but after reading the comments by James Hunt of The Digital Bits I'm definitely less excited.

From http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa174.html#120209 :

Quote:
In other news today, and speaking of Blu-ray, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced something I... well, I'm afraid I'm not particularly excited about. Presumably in an effort to reduce the number of SKUs they have to prepare and ship, they've announced that they've developed new Blu-ray "flipper" discs, which have Blu-ray content on one side and standard DVD content on the other. In other words, DVD/BD Combo discs. I really kind of hate this. In principle, it's a great idea - give people one disc that includes both versions, making it cheap and easy to upgrade to Blu-ray. BUT... let's look at Universal's track record with this kind of thing. They pushed hard to get DVD-18 format DVD discs (dual-sided, dual-layered) into the market, and various bonding and layer rot problems meant that a very high percentage of these releases either shipped defective or stopped working within months of release. Then, a couple years ago, Universal pushed hard to get DVD/HD-DVD Combo discs into the market, and TONS of those didn't work properly. Frankly, more than half of the Combo discs I had skipped, glitched or simply wouldn't play. Are we now to expect that they're going to have better luck with DVD/BD Combo discs? I highly doubt it. Let me tell you, most experienced and avid movie disc consumers I know HATE these combo discs. More than likely, Universal is going to release some titles exclusively in this new Combo format, and at least some of them aren't going to work right or will fail more quickly over time, and it's going to be a consumer NIGHTMARE. [...]
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD DVD flippers left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, except the rabid format warriors on the blu side. Most are betting this will just bring that bad aftertaste belatedly to them.

I know I am pretty unlikely to buy them.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Movies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: