PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No MP3 from BD on PS3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: No MP3 from BD on PS3? Reply with quote

I don't have a Blu-ray Disc writer to my avail so I haven't tried putting my collection of MP3 songs on a BD yet (though it sounds like a good idea since it no longer fits on a DVD, even Double Layer I think) but apparently I needn't try this on my PS3:

According to this article PlayStation3 will not play such tracks from these carriers.

Is this oversight or a conscious restriction? I see no real reason for either a developmental complexity or intentional limiting.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the PS3 play mp3s at all? Haven't tried, all my compressed stuff is AAC.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Will the PS3 play mp3s at all?

Oh, yes. Since the beginning it has played MP3, AAC and WMA. It will even encode to MP3 or AAC, just not to WMA. And as of firmware v2.40 MP3 Surround is even supported, like we requested earlier.

Apparently only from CD and DVD media though.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that has anything to do with the BD spec requirement for all commercially produced BDs to have AACS.

There some news items floating around about the company that does the fireplace and aquarium BDs trying to implement managed copy, and finding all the support to do so is lacking. He would just drop AACS, but says he can't get BDs pressed if he does that. Maybe some similar restriction means the PS3 cannot playback music from an AACS-less BD disk.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I'm sure various audio (and video) codecs are mandated for discs and players, and I'm also sure MP3 is not mandated but that it would be forbidden to be there or to be played seems unlikely to me. In the end a Blu-ray Disc can be regarded as just a BD-ROM carrier that may contain any type of digital data, and if it's beyond the mandated formats it's up to the player to decide what to do with it.

I would expect the same for DSD (or DXD for that matter) but who knows, perhaps it's not allowed, at least not on a 'BD Video' disc if there is such a thing, which I presume there is.

Last edited by The Seventh Taylor on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speculating whether BDs without AACS were allowed to be played, not specifically ones containing MP3s.

Has someone gotten the PS3 to play a BD ROM, or any non-commercially authored BD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: