PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony finally adds BD/DVD/SACD players -- six of them

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Sony finally adds BD/DVD/SACD players -- six of them Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone. 2010 seems off to a great start with Sony announcing a line-up of new Blu-ray Disc players and BD Home Theater Systems that nearly all include SACD.

Read our coverage here.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our contact at Sony Europe says:
Quote:
if the model features the new BD player then they should support SA-CD.

Instead of six it now appears to be ten then:
  • Three players (BDP-S770, BDP-S570 and BDP-S370)
  • Three Home Theater Systems for the North American market (BDV-HZ970W, BDV-E770W and BDV-E570W)
  • Four different Home Cinema Systems for the European market (BDV-IZ1000W, BDV-E970W, BDV-E870 and BDV-E370)
plus perhaps two more (BDV-F700 and BDV-F500)...

See the complete overview here.
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very cool. I wonder how many of them are going to have DSD output over HDMI...or even iLink, as an option - I have a Pioneer receiver with iLink input...jitter free is always nice too...
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvdasacd wrote:
It's very cool. I wonder how many of them are going to have DSD output over HDMI...or even iLink, as an option - I have a Pioneer receiver with iLink input...jitter free is always nice too...

The preliminary informal answer we've got is that "they will deliver whatever the amplifier can handle" i.e. can output DSD as well as PCM. We're waiting for the confirmation.

i.Link for SACD we can probably consider phased out and replaced by HDMI. For jitter reduction, Sony's got HATS which is reportedly compatible with Pioneer's PQLS -- on HDMI.
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3SACD wrote:
dvdasacd wrote:

The preliminary informal answer we've got is that "they will deliver whatever the amplifier can handle" i.e. can output DSD as well as PCM. We're waiting for the confirmation.

Awesome. fingers crossed.

Quote:
i.Link for SACD we can probably consider phased out and replaced by HDMI. For jitter reduction, Sony's got HATS which is reportedly compatible with Pioneer's PQLS -- on HDMI.

yes indeed. But it needs HDMI 1.3 for that though...which my receiver doesn't have :/....hate it how you always have to upgrade, with digital standards....so for me, if one day I feel like upgrading to "jitterless" (not that it's a huge priority lol), I think I'll get an i.LINK-equipped player. I know one day I will Wink.

For the anal audiophiles (kinda like me) who want the best possible quality with everything, regardless of whether it really makes a huge difference in sound quality (that's not the point, right? Wink it's the small differences that we obsess about Wink ), it's a shame that things often seem to regress rather than progress (or at least become more obscure and expensive and less mainstream). E.g., AV receivers in general have been actually moving away from pure DSD -> analog decoding among the brands like Pioneer, Onkyo, and more left to the more high end models these days...why, I don't know...it must be cheaper and there's not much demand for it :S
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvdasacd wrote:
...so for me, if one day I feel like upgrading to "jitterless" (not that it's a huge priority lol), I think I'll get an i.LINK-equipped player. I know one day I will Wink

You could look for a Sony SCD-XA9000ES SACD player.

It's made to match with the Sony STR-DA9000ES AV receiver but it should work with your AVR too.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although they're surely based on a different platform than the BD players announced last month, I had more or less expected Sony's new range of BD recorders (BDZ- RX105/RX55/RX35/RS15) announced today to feature SACD playback, after all these are for the Japanese market, but the article makes no mention of it (nor "SA-CD").

It's hard to see but I think I can make out the following logo's:
- Memory Stick or Magic Gate
- AVCHD
- HDMI
- i.LINK
- DVD-Video (and -R/-RW probably)
- DVD+RW (Dual Layer probably)
- CDDA or CDDV
- some Dolby logo
- some DTS logo
- BD-Live
- Blu-ray Disc, obviously

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3SACD wrote:
dvdasacd wrote:
...so for me, if one day I feel like upgrading to "jitterless" (not that it's a huge priority lol), I think I'll get an i.LINK-equipped player. I know one day I will Wink

You could look for a Sony SCD-XA9000ES SACD player.

It's made to match with the Sony STR-DA9000ES AV receiver but it should work with your AVR too.

Ah that' way out of my price range.....unless i mean one day i can afford something that good Wink.

But there's not much point really, since digital is digital and it's a waste of money paying for amazing DACs when I only use my amplifier(s) for the DACs. So I'd settle with something more like a Denon DVD-2910 which has i.LINK and would do my purposes fine Smile.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvdasacd wrote:
... I'd settle with something more like a Denon DVD-2910 which has i.LINK and would do my purposes fine Smile.

It's available in silver and black (currently: used from $99).

Glad to help :)
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah it was too good to be true. turns out the 2910 doesn't have i.LINK. I'm going to try a 3910 instead Smile - spotted a good bargain somewhere. shh Razz
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, that's available too -- even new ($900) and used (from $379)

Arrow Denon DVD 3910 - universal DVD player
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just received confirmation from Sony about the 2010 Blu-ray Disc player range and DSD Disc format, and as it turns out they're currently not compatible.

That may come as a bit of a surprise after getting this feature on PS3 and especially the SCD-XA5400ES.

Who knows what the future holds? Perhaps a firmware upgrade will do the trick? After all, also PS3 only got this feature with system software update v1.60.
Yuri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a year later, a new range of BD recorders for the Japanese market (BDZ-AX2000, BDZ-AX1000, BDZ-AT900, BDZ-AT700, BDZ-AT500, BDZ-AT300S) but still on a platform that doesn't support SACD, apparently. The only new formats here are Blu-ray 3D and BDXL (the 100GB recordable disc). HDD capacity has gone up to 2TB.

Coverage here and here. Picture found here.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday at their IFA press conference Sony (Europe) has shown this new -- likely 'budget', judging by the design and for instance the lack of a display -- Blu-ray Disc player: BDP-S185 and BDP-S186.

Press release here; High-resolution picture here.

Logos visible are:
- Front: BD
- Top: HDMI, BD-Live, DVD-V, CD-DA, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, Xvid
So no SACD. No Blu-ray 3D either, by the way.

No SACD either on Sony Japan's new BD recorder range:
- BDZ-AX2700T
- BDZ-AT970T
- BDZ-AT950W
- BDZ-SKP75
- BDZ-AT770T

Coverage here and here (both Japanese)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: