PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI 1080p & SACD via Optical & Pure DSD bitsream

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenmatthew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: HDMI 1080p & SACD via Optical & Pure DSD bitsream Reply with quote

Im new to the forum so 'Hello everyone!'

I am a layperson so forgive me if Im talking Sh&!te!

Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on a three points...

1. I have chased HDMI cables into the wall to go to the TV. They are Cambridge Audio HDMI Reference 3m bought in 2008. Im unsure if they are capable of carrying a full 1080p signal (or above) to the TV as I have read some conflicting reports.

2. After reading info on the site, Im now pretty sure that I will get 16-bit 44.1KHz CD quality audio from the PS3 via the optical cable to my AV amp if I were to load a SACD. Will this come through as a multichannel signal? i.e. if the SACD is a 3 channel recording will I get 3 channel signal going to the amp or will it be just stereo?

3. WHEN(!!!) the PS3 is able to output pure DSD bitstream, will the SONY STRDH800 be capable of processing it? (See richersounds.com) Is this the signal that DTS-HD Master Audio uses? The AV amp is my next upgrade.

Phew... I feel a great weight has lifted from my shoulders...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Equipment:
PS3 60G
Denon AVR-1507
KEF KHT 1005.2
Sony KDL40V4000U
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: HDMI 1080p & SACD via Optical & Pure DSD bitsrea Reply with quote

Welcome!

Greenmatthew wrote:
1. I have chased HDMI cables into the wall to go to the TV. They are Cambridge Audio HDMI Reference 3m bought in 2008. Im unsure if they are capable of carrying a full 1080p signal (or above) to the TV as I have read some conflicting reports.

I'm not an expert on HDMI (at least not for video) but I see no reason why they wouldn't be capable of transporting 1080p to the TV.

Quote:
2. After reading info on the site, Im now pretty sure that I will get 16-bit 44.1KHz CD quality audio from the PS3 via the optical cable to my AV amp if I were to load a SACD. Will this come through as a multichannel signal? i.e. if the SACD is a 3 channel recording will I get 3 channel signal going to the amp or will it be just stereo?

I continue to hear conflicting reports about the bit depth and resolution you can get from SACD via optical on a PS3 (some claim 88.2 and 176 kHz are possible) but what I do know for sure is it'll be stereo only (unless you're using firmware v2.00, no higher, no lower).

Quote:
3. WHEN(!!!) the PS3 is able to output pure DSD bitstream, will the SONY STRDH800 be capable of processing it? (See richersounds.com) Is this the signal that DTS-HD Master Audio uses? The AV amp is my next upgrade.

I wouldn't count on that DSD streaming ever happening for (existing) PS3s. Sony will not confirm it but it appears to be a hardware limitation (HDMI chip), not something that can be solved in software.
Secondly, I don't think the STR-DH800 can handle DSD, so the issue is doubly moot.
Having said that, it's probably a fine AV receiver to process the 5.1 high-res PCM PS3 will output for SACD.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your cables will cary 1080p fine. The limitations tend to be length based, and unless you are getting into the 20 feet+ range, very few cables have any problems.
Greenmatthew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: