PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marantz sr5001 (HDMI v 1.1), PS3 SACD compatability

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aloutah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Marantz sr5001 (HDMI v 1.1), PS3 SACD compatability Reply with quote

I currently have a marantz sr 5001 av receiver, and MSG4 PS3. I have not tried to use any sacds yet, actually just found out that my PS3 supported SACD. Anyway, I wanted to see if my receiver will work for sacd playback with this ps3. It only has hdmi version 1.1. Can the sacd signal be transferred from ps3, through HDMI 1.1, to this receiver for playback? I know some people have told me that you need at least v1.2 . So first, can I somehow get stereo or multichannel playback of sacd material through hdmi using this receiver? Second, if HDMI wont work, is there another route I can take for either stereo or multichannel sacd playback, perhaps via optical cable? Thanks.
aloutah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the specs on the marantz. You can also view the manual there. I would appreciate any help, I have been reading through posts and the manuals and really have no idea.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1880.asp
raveer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

from the manual you linked I gathered it supports MCH PCM up to 96kHz, so yes, SA-CD playback with conversion to PCM of 24/88.2 will work over HDMI. Playstation 3 supports conversion up to 24/176.4.

As for HDMI 1.2 is in this case not needed, as playstation3 can not bitstream the raw DSD data from SA-CD disc. So HDMI 1.2a+ is only used when you want to transport the raw 1-bit signal of DSD from player over HDMI to the pre/pro to do the magic. For this case your receiver is equiped with i.Link (firewire) which was the first allowed digital transport of SA-CD.

As for Toslink, Sony has crippled the interface with SA-CDs. They are downcoverted to 16/44.1 stereo (same as RBCD) but lossy media on HDD can be bitmapped to 24/176.4 and sent in this form over Toslink if the receiver supports it. Which is crap, btw. Smile
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Will make sure there's information about that in the FAQ soon.

EDIT: Done. It was already there in a way but now it's more specific.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: