PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5.1 optical output for SACD: a real solution

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: 5.1 optical output for SACD: a real solution Reply with quote

The starting point
All PS3s have three audio outputs: analog stereo, digital optical and HDMI. With the original system software, optical output was disabled during SACD playback so HDMI was left as the only way to output multichannel SACD sound. This was frustrating to many owners of legacy receivers without HDMI input.

The initial solution
Firmware v2.00 introduced an undocumented feature, whereby multichannel SACD audio (DST, short for Direct Stream Transfer, losslessly compressed DSD) was converted in real time to DTS 5.1, which was then output through optical. Extensive discussion here.

The problem with this solution
Since this was an undocumented feature in the first place, Sony has never stated why it was removed again in v2.01 two weeks later but a licensing issue is the most likely explanation: If Sony included a DTS encoder it would owe DTS Inc. a certain royalty per piece sold. This was not included the original PS3 and couldn't possibly be covered by a free software update.

The compromise
From v2.01 onwards, optical output would deliver PCM stereo with SACD playback but not at the high quality that should be possible.

A real solution
Sony may not have a license for a DTS encoder for PS3 but it does have an official Dolby Digital Live encoder. DD Live is version of Dolby Digital that was developed by Dolby to meet the requirements for games: low latency. Dolby Digital may not have the same bitrate as DTS but it's almost as good an alternative and would be a far better solution than the current one.

The mystery
Why hasn't Sony implemented this in v2.01 or any later update? We've got no clue. We have suggested this solution to Sony a while ago but thus far they haven't responded. If they do after all we'll let you know.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved -- probably

The likely explanation why Sony doesn't do SACD-to-Dolby Digital transcoding on PS3 is it's against the rules. Probably it's not in the format's spec (which describes only the disc) but in the SACD license agreement where it says what players can and cannot do: The coaxial or optical digital output is not allowed to provide better quality for SACD than red book audio.

Of course, unless co-licensor Philips objects (and it's quite unlikely that they will), Sony is at liberty to change this stipulation. Why not do it then? Perhaps they're concerned with upsetting customers in the music industry (whom this rule was meant to please) or with upsetting other hardware licensees who have thus far adhered to this rule and might feel it's unfair competition from Sony when they themselves cannot provide a software upgrade to cope with such a change in policy. Or perhaps SCE is too far removed from the division of Sony that deals with the SACD standard and license and it doesn't think it has this power.

Whatever the case, it's not so likely to change in a future software update, which is a shame.

We'll update the FAQ to explain this situation.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet hi res stereo lossless off of blu-ray is unencumbered by the restriction. Pretty silly.

Similarly, it can output 1080i video from a blu-ray over component, but is forbidden to do so with upscaled DVD, which is of inferior quality.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ updated.
2.01 - Why did I bother

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info from a long lost visitor!

I am about to upgrade my amplifier, but before I upgrade my ancient and underutilised PS3 - underutilised for SACD; kids use it heeeeeaps! - to latest version - so that said childern can use the latest games - is there any advantage/reason for me to maintain v2.0 other than my former reluctance to get a amp with HDMI. Is the optical option worth maintaining?

I would appreciate advice/comments. Obviously, on V2.0 I am probably unable to access 3D features - do these apply to my PS3 of old?

Please note that the children's 'happiness' is secondary to the retention of SACD optimal options!
Jens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.01 - Why did I bother wrote:
I am about to upgrade my amplifier, but before I upgrade my ancient and underutilised PS3 - underutilised for SACD; kids use it heeeeeaps! - to latest version - so that said childern can use the latest games - is there any advantage/reason for me to maintain v2.0 other than my former reluctance to get a amp with HDMI. Is the optical option worth maintaining?

The only other reason I could think of for hanging on to old firmware would be Other OS (Linux) but only if it's any use to you, of course. Also, you could upgrade to v3.20.

Note: downgrading is claimed to be possible now. See here.

As for multichannel SACD output to an amp/receiver: I'd take the jump to an HDMI unit and shed v2.00. You'll be hard-pressed to find a recent one without HDMI. Prices have come way down since the port first appeared some six years ago or so.

Perhaps later, an upgrade to a quieter SACD player could even be worthwhile considering?
2.01 - Why did I bother

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I am not even sure how to link this to a computer, yet alone another OS.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.01 - Why did I bother wrote:
I would appreciate advice/comments. Obviously, on V2.0 I am probably unable to access 3D features - do these apply to my PS3 of old?

There are a few advantages to new slim PS3s - quieter, less heat and can stream Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA without converting to PCM.

But that's it. Old ones like ours have all other current features - 3D, netflix, vudu, etc, and all their original advantages as well - SACD, PS2 BC, 4 USB ports, media card slots.

So yes, current firmware gets you basically all the new goodies.
2.01 - Why did I bother

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the old ones can be a bit on the noisy side as they heat up, but - and I mainly have a classical music library - when I listen to music at orchestral volumes, the main distraction is from the kids screaming at me to turn it down and the few items falling off walls and furniture!

At my 'advanced' age (43) I am probably passed audio scratch now anyway, so even if I did understand the full implications of PCM, it probably remains academic.

Thanks for advice and feedback to date.

WDIBv2.01
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 48 and my kid tells me to turn things down too. More the rock than the classical though, and definitely movies.

But I can still hear some pretty subtle things, just not much past 17KHz.

The differences I listed weren't really intended to be thought of as advantages or disadvantages (other than the heat). DTS-HD and Dolby True HD codecs are PCM, they are just methods of compression and channel encoding, so there is no audio difference in streaming them for conversion in the preamp vs. converting in the PS3, just some people like the lights on their processor to light up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: