PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impressions on the Onkyo SR605?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieroboter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Impressions on the Onkyo SR605? Reply with quote

I'm planning to get a new receiver, and this model looks like a good choice. Mainly I'm looking for a HDMI PCM multichannel receiver, and will use it with the PS3 (oh, OK, and a Wii, but that's almost offtopic... Laughing). I've read all the F.A.Q here, but I want some personal impressions about the Onkyo or some recommendations about other receivers.

Bring some light here! Smile
buckshot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 605. I watched mr. and mrs. smith on blu ray last night and it was so crisp and clear. I really liked the scene where they are tearing their house apart sounds awesome. then after I watched that. I listened to the best of motorhead on dualdisc. makes lemmy sound even more brutal during ''ace of spades''. I got my 605 from www.jr.com for $399 and I got all my cables/speaker wire from www.monoprice.com. very inexpensive and very good.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$399 is a definite bargain but Amazon now offers the Onkyo TX-SR605S at $341.59 (down 30% from the $499 SRP)

Check here
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: best newcomer price wise Reply with quote

is the Yamaha V663 BL at $500.00

This is a new receiver model in stores, supports sacd/DSD via HDMI, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and DTS master audio all via HDMI also.

Upconverts video to HDMI for outputting everything via HDMI to your
TV

Does not Upscale incoming video to 1080P, but any DVD/Blu_Ray player might already upscale it's outpu to the correct HD level you need.
Belive the PS3 already does this.

Only 2 HDMI inputs, but how many HDMI Devices do you have?
(me personally, None..yet)
ken_wilsonii

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Might want to look at the Onkyo 606 also Reply with quote

Onkyo 606
IT appears to support quite a bit audio wise also and has a HD radio tuner

IT does have some odd caveats on the DSD, however.

This is directly from the manual I downloaded from Onkyo

*1. DSD signals are processed after conversion to PCM.
*2. North American model doesn’t have Pure Audio listening mode.

If you can select PCM or DSD output on your SACD player, in some cases, selecting PCM will provide the best sound quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: