PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

purchasing blue-ray audio cds on ps3 without hdmi receiver?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: purchasing blue-ray audio cds on ps3 without hdmi receiver? Reply with quote

Hello all I am curious here, I have got a 80gb ps3 that is sacd compatible, and I want to purchase this new damn the torpedoes blue-ray audio cd for it because I have heard it sounds fantastic! But I do not have a hdmi receiver input on my old nadd integrated amp? I use it with a hsu sub and miller kreisel speakers, high fedelity. Now the blue-ray movies look and sound good on this setup, but will the audio blue-ray sound good? I have an hdmi cable going from the ps3 to my 1080i hdtv, then I have a cable running from the tv to my old integrated amplifier. Am I going to lose alot of quality with this setup I have?
Will it sound close to having a hdmi receiver? What settings should I use with my setup I have right now? It is the 80 gb metal gear solid version with sacd compatibility. Thanks for any reply Nickster!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is sound getting into your integrated amp? Is there also an analog connection for the PS3 to the Nadd? Is the TV stripping out the audio and sending it to the Nadd, and if so, by analog or by optical or coax SPDIF?
nickster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a two prong cable, crossover cable from the audio left right on the back of the hdtv to the integrated amp. I played the michael jacksons this is it movie, and it sound good right now. I am assuming it is running at dolby digital dts 2.0. Must be running at 2 channel right now.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickster, in a PM wrote:
Hi, I would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind hehe. I am trying to get the most optimal setup for what I have. I have a ps3 connected with hdmi cable to my hdtv, then I have a rca jack cable from the tv to my integrated amplifier for the audio. It has a subwoofer and two speakers. This is a high fedelity system but it has no hdmi input on the amp. I am getting sound out of my stereo system right now which sounds pretty good but can I do better? Would an optical digital cable running from the ps3 to my amp be better?

Not necessarily, but you could have the Dolby Digital decoding done in your amp instead of your console if you think it's a really good one (and it supports such input in the first place).

Quote:
I could buy a dolby digital optical to stereo converter with cables for the ps3 to hook up to my integrayed amp?

That sounds like a waste of money. Better spend it on a receiver with HDMI input. They have come way down in price since their introduction several years ago.

Quote:
I am using a interconnect cable right now from the tv to amp. It is a high fedelity kind of cable, good quality. I tried the av multi out cable that came with my ps3, but it does not sound any better running it from the ps3 directly to the amp. Would an av receiver be a good choice even though I only have a 2.1 setup, 2 speakers and 1 subwoofer?

Better probably than your amp because the question is what should feed your .1 channel. Does your amp provide 2.1 output? What source material would you use? Most SACDs but also most DVDs are either 5.1 (or 5.0) or 2.0, not 2.1.

Quote:
Can I get buy with a not too pricey av receiver that is good quality? Thanks for any reply!! Nickster

Sure, you can get new ones from as low as under $300. See our store.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As PS3 says, a good current gen receiver that has an HDMI input and can take the hirez PCM over HDMI from the PS3 is going to give you a pretty decent sonic improvement over the analog being separated out by your TV.
nickster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would I set this up? I assume I am going to use my integrated amp in this mix with my 2 speakers and subwoofer? I like the sound of my hi-fi stereo. So would I go ps3, then use a hdmi cable to a av receiver, av receiver connected to integrated amp via interconnect cable, then hdmi cable from av receiver to hdtv? I am please already from the sound I am getting so far from my integrated amp from the tv. The bass is thumping, the highs are there, while I was listening to michael jackson's this is it movie, glass shattered and it was like it was coming right at me, incredible!!!!!! Nickster Rolling Eyes
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wouldn't be any need for your amp anymore in the new set-up. There's probably nothing your amp can do that the receiver can't and it will not help to make the sound coming from the receiver any better. Typically, the more gear you add to the chain the worse the output gets.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd qualify that a little. The Nad amps are pretty decent performers, so he'd want at least a good midlevel receiver to match the amp performance.

The amps in the entry level receivers are not going to be as good IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: