PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SACD ripping made possible!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_wicked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: SACD ripping made possible! Reply with quote

First post..

SACD ripping possible? Yes! After browsing these forums and reading all the information I knew I didn't want a hardware HDMI -> PCM converter but wanted a fast DSD/DST ripping solution..

As I found out the Playstation 3 is actually able to RAW read SACDs. And after making some raw dumps of my SACDs on my Linux PS3 I knew it could be done and was ready to really dive into this. I quickly found out that most of the SACDs do not contain the UDF filesystem (so cannot be mounted) but contains several tables of content pointing to the master DST/DSD file (2 or multi channel master file).

For now I've reverse engineered all the necessary information from these TOCs and I've written a program which outputs this information (my program directly accepts the bluray /dev/sr0 device). I've also made a simple test which dumps the tracks from the master to the Philips DSDIFF 1.5 spec format. (I'll make this code including DST conversion available soon..).

In case you are interested, here is my todo:
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/todo

ScarletBook information:
http://code.google.com/p/sacd-ripper/wiki/ScarletBook

And project page:
http://sacd-ripper.googlecode.com

btw. I'm not in favor of ripping and distributing.. I'm also an audiophile with Sonus Faber Amatis, NBS cables and Mark Levinson equipment. And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.

- Mr Wicked
Jens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

I think running pirated game software through hacks like GeoHot's and fail0verflow's is still Sony's main concern but ripping SACDs may very well provide another reason for Sony to forever block access to OtherOS.

Let's just hope they will not retroactively block access to SACD (for proper playback from within the XMB) too.
mr_wicked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Let's just hope they will not retroactively block access to SACD (for proper playback from within the XMB) too.

I would not be too worried about that; The hardware is here to stay and so is the information. Although it's not my personal interest it is now actually possible to write an application that rips directly within the XMB.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not endorse distributing ripped content either but I'd be very interested in more possibilities for SACD.

Here's a wish list of features I could think of or have seen suggested elsewhere:
- SACD backing up to internal HDD and playing back copy from there, preferably from within XMB
- Multichannel output from SACD via optical, if not through DTS then at least Dolby Digital
- DVD-Audio playback, preferably through HDMI, and from XMB
- The same new features for DVD-A like back-up

BTW, how do you plan to use the backup when you've captured the data? Put it on DSD Disc? (that could work with stereo but not multichannel, I guess)
mr_wicked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>BTW, how do you plan to use the backup when you've captured the data? Put it on DSD Disc? (that could work with stereo but not multichannel, I guess)
Personally I would love to keep it in DST/DSDIFF format and let a codec (like http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76080) handle the decoding and PCM conversion. In the meanwhile I will convert my collection to FLAC as I'm not using foobar.

Apart from the official ID3 tag, I'm not a big fan of Sony's DSF format, it's a bad copy of DSDIFF and it's missing DST & Multichannel support..
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SACD ripping made possible! Reply with quote

mr_wicked wrote:
btw. I'm not in favor of ripping and distributing.. I'm also an audiophile with Sonus Faber Amatis, NBS cables and Mark Levinson equipment. And yes I still buy 6 cd's a month, which I'll continue to do.. But I want to be able to make proper backups of my SACD collection and really move away from CDs in general.

- Mr Wicked

Same here. I would wager, however, that there would be little interest from the downloading community for DSD files, since virtually all of them lack a means of playback.
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: SACD ripping made possible! Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
I would wager, however, that there would be little interest from the downloading community for DSD files, since virtually all of them lack a means of playback.

Very true, although that could change if we get a good alternative for that. Not sure what it should be. Right now the alternatives are
- recording to DSD Disc and playing on PS3; the modest size of the community here indicates how few gamers are into this apparently
- playing on a PC and converting to PCM; there wouldn't be much of a point in this: PCM downloads would be more convenient then

So I guess availability of (USB) DSD DACs is what we're waiting for.

Also the fact that few PS3 owners still have the ability to run OtherOS may limit interest but that could change if the recent hacks work out such that it can be run with the latest firmware.
Yuri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Mr_Wicked,

I don't mean to distract you from your current project but do you think it's possible to port DVDAExplorer to (linux on) PS3?
BeckMutations

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Music server DSD possible w/Korg MR1000 & rips done on P Reply with quote

Congrats on this and thanks for woking on it. As someone who owns about 5000 CDs, and over 600 SACD and DVD Audio discs I can appreciate how frustrating it is for audiophiles who OWN this stuff not to be able to place it all on a server at the resolution we paid for.

Thanks to DVD Audio Explorer we now can for the DVD-A discs and there are many solutions for 24/96 DVDs (that are non DVD Audio) but nothing for SACD until now possibly.

I am lucky to have an older SACD enabled PS3, but will OtherOS be enabled ever again? Or will GeoHot's latest jailbreak enable this again?

Then it we can get those precious DSD bits off our discs, how can we playback?

NB: KORG has the MR1000 DSD recorder which has a USB 2.0 port and says allows connection to PC for transfer and upload of files - so maybe it could function as a DSD DAC of sorts?
un user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, this is my first post

@mr_wicked,
i've see you project, few days ago, and i think i have some pdf's that may be interest you
as i've read, dst compression is not madatary for stereo, is only for multichannel.
if the traks could be back-up on to hdd, in mac/windows, it will be played by audiogate, which convert stereo dsd(dsf,dff(dsdiff)) to pcm, and is freeware.
With audiogate i was able to play stereo dff files from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html site at 192khz/24bits.

Still some problems remain, and dst uncompresion is one of them.

P.S.
I"ll be glad to test files for you
jasol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SACD ripping made possible! Reply with quote

Quote:

So I guess availability of (USB) DSD DACs is what we're waiting for.

I am very interested in this so I was wondering if anyone had an idea when it will happen?

Jacob

<spam removed by admin>

Last edited by jasol on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread and especially this news.
dvdasacd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3SACD wrote:
See this thread and especially this news.
Nice news. I really appreciate you maintaining this site and posting this dsd and sacd news, PS3SACD. Please keep it going for many years to come <3.

Some good times coming in terms of DSD consumer possibilties and convenience, by the looks of things. Shame the Mytek is stereo only, hope a multichannel one can come some time. even DSD HDMI/iLink output would be amazing (like an SACD player's output...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: