PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BluRay or DVD-A for new Rush Moving Pictures 5.1 remaster?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: BluRay or DVD-A for new Rush Moving Pictures 5.1 remaster? Reply with quote

What's your vote out there?
BluRay or DVD-A for new Rush "Moving Pictures" 5.1 remaster?
There are two options to buy... I can play either. BluRay on my PS3 and DVD-A on my Pioneer Elite DV-48 through HDMI 1.3 to an Integra 9.9
Compatibility? Future Proof? Ease? Sound?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as far as playing the disk itself, the blu-ray is probably a bit more future proof. On the other hand, the DVD-A is probably easier to rip the hi-res files off if you do any computer based playback of hi res stereo.

Sound wise, they should be identical, your playback machines' differences notwithstanding, as they will be the same PCM files.

Blu-ray disks are a bit more durable with their hardcoat.

I'd probably opt for the BD route myself, although I do have a number of DVD-A disks.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One aspect not yet mentioned is the price difference. Ok, it's not stellar, but $21.56 vs $26.70 is noticeably different.

Also, DVD-A may be easier to rip, or copy for back-up, if that's any consideration.
bgage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: RIP? Reply with quote

I didn't know you could RIP DVD-As.... just stereo though? Is it very hard? Too bad they didn't release this on SACD.... so much easier to play an SACD. It's nice to just put the SACD in and push play. A little more effort for BluRay and DVD-A. So it sounds like not a whole lot of sound difference. I'd probably go the BluRay route.... although you almost want to do both.... my Snakes and Arrows DVD (MVI or whatever) is already out of print and hard to find. I guess they pressed a limited number of vinyl of S&A, but that's even rarer. SACDs are getting pretty hard to find as well these days.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a program called DVD-AExplorer. I've used it to rip all my DVD-As.

Windows version is needed to rip encrypted DVD-As, the mac version was never really ported properly, and is flakey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: