PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing SACD on PS3- Telarc Surround only L+R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrstudio2

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Playing SACD on PS3- Telarc Surround only L+R Reply with quote

I purchase my first Telarc Surround Sound CD, but when I play it on my original PS3 with my Marantz NR1501 receiver connected via HDMI 1.3b, I only get left and right channels, no multichannels. I have tried changing the PS3 settings to just about everything including changing from LPCM to bitstream, changing the HDMI output from 48 to 44.1, changing the sound settings (unchecking the LPCM 2 channel modes), etc. When my playstation is just sitting on the menu, my recevier says it is receiving PCM multichannel. As soon as I try playing the Telarc CD, it starts receiving PCM 2ch. I have tried with my TV on and off. I am not sure what else to try...any ideas?

-Andrew V. Romero
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you've got the front channels instead of the rear ones it reminded me of this recent issue:

http://www.ps3sacd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=346

but it seems you've already played with the PCM frequency settings and gone way below 176.4 and 88.2 kHz so I'm not sure what to advise.

This occurs with all multichannel SACDs you've got?
rrstudio2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did try what was recommended in that post. So, my new theory is...maybe these aren't super audio CDs with multi channel. I have been trying with two that specifically say Surround Sound, but they don't specifically say SACD. Maybe they are simulated surround. The talarc disk is Telarc Surround Sounds 2 (CD-80496). To test this, I ordered two new surround sound CDs that specifically say SACD (dark side of the moon 30th and some other one). They should be here later this week. I will let you know if they work. Part of me hopes they do cuz that would be cool...part of me hopes they won't because I will have wasted about 4 hours.

-Andrew
rrstudio2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

So...just to close out the thread....the original CDs I was trying this with were apparently not SACDs with surround sound. Surprise, a CD that says surround sound is not necessary a surround sound CD. To help confused people like myself, you may want to mention in the FAQ that the PS3 XMB menu will specifically list a super audio CD with multi channels as such instead of just having the normal play CD icon. It would help clarify what you should be seeing on the PS3 when playing a true SACD with multichannels.

Thanks for the great forum.

-Andrew V. Romero
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution Reply with quote

rrstudio2 wrote:
To help confused people like myself, you may want to mention in the FAQ that the PS3 XMB menu will specifically list a super audio CD with multi channels as such instead of just having the normal play CD icon. It would help clarify what you should be seeing on the PS3 when playing a true SACD with multichannels.

Thanks for the great forum.

Good point -- noted. Thanks for the feedback!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: