PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[OT] about Sony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: [OT] about Sony Reply with quote

A very interesting article about how Sony has changed. No primitive Sony bashing and ranting about unsuccessful formats but a range of interviews with several disillusioned (former) employees and other insiders.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/special-report-sony-stumbles-did-stringers-makeover-fail-061120615.html

Despite all this I keep admiring Sony for the things they've done and are doing still.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting piece.

I am sort of torn on my position towards Sony. I like a lot of their products, but their missteps seem to come everywhere. I bought one of their nicer CD/SACD players (original list price when it debuted over $1000), which lasted about 3-4 years of fairly light use, then began failing to read SACDs. Research showed this failure to be common to this and a few other models at the top of their ES line due to a poorly designed laser read head assembly.

PS3 has been robust, but their gaffes with the PSN and the removal of Linux ability leave me with my head shaking. And their outright arrogance with the rootkit incident gives me reason to despise them.

When I bought a new LCD TV recently, I found myself forced to remove Bravias from consideration as several friends have had issues with double images during the first 1/2 hour of use until the set warmed up. Internet search shows this to be a common problem. I ended up buying a Sharp, as I wanted to support the Japanese economy due to my personal and professional ties to the country.

I hope there is a core remaining of what made them a great company, but I fear it is more momentum and pockets of innovativeness, and that the internal rot will probably continue until it is all gone. We'll see I guess.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just now while browsing Amazon, it came up with a suggestion for this book:

Revolutionaries at Sony

which I thought would be about the same topic but it's a book from 2000 about the creation of the original PlayStation. I guess it came up because I've bought other books about videogame history before.

Still it sounds interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: