PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: SSD PS3 Reply with quote

So Sony's apology offerings have caused my son to max out the 120GB drive I had put in by 60GB PS3. Since I grow increasingly impatient as I age, I find myself contemplating replacing the HDD with an SSD of 180 to 240 GB size.

Some argue those units cost more than an additional PS3, but I have rationalized that away, as they don't cost more than my PS3 did.

I have seen several comments to the effect that it is a waste of money, as the PS3 OS does NOT support TRIM, the garbage collection implemented with SSDs to prevent loss of viable memory through overwriting of its various memory locations, and that any speed advantage will therefore likely be lost in short order.

However, the Mac OS also does not support TRIM, and I have seen NO equivalent suggestions of that nature with respect to SSDs in macs. Additionally, OCZ offers SSD drives in the 2.5" SATAII form factor that offer a more rudimentary version of the same functionality at a hardware level, which might mitigate this. And more to the point, other than very low bandwidth game state and data saves, firmware updates (sort of infrequent), and game downloads (one time incidents), the PS3 spends most of its time doing reads, not writes, so I cannot reasonably fathom how this can be a legitimate concern.

Given the benchmarks for improved boot, load and install times (from ~10%, to as much as 50% for some things like GT5), I am going to take the plunge anyway.

Any mildy to highly informed opinions on factors I have not considered?
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SSD PS3 Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Any mildy to highly informed opinions on factors I have not considered?

How about improved (lower) noise level? See this thread.

Very curious how it turns out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: