PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Next Peter Gabriel album

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Next Peter Gabriel album Reply with quote

I just read Peter Gabriel is about to finish a new album but it's not the second half of Scratch my back -- I'll scratch yours but more of a third half: not covers by him of other's songs or vice versa but new orchestral arrangements of his own earlier songs. It's called New Blood (apparently following from the live tour he did for Scratch my back).

Sounds very interesting but what's happened to I'll scratch yours? Is it dead in the water?

BTW, what is it Peter Gabriel has with scratching anyway? Scratch my car, I'll melt yours... Wink
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's itchy. Picked up some fleas from those monkeys he was shocking . . .
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, here it is. The album's title is New Blood although perhaps I'll Scratch Mine would also be appropriate Wink

Again, there's quite a bewildering number of options:
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's what is says in an email I received from petergabiel.com and on the site itself:
Quote:
NEW BLOOD (Album)

Following last year's 'Scratch My Back' album, where Peter Gabriel reinterpreted a diverse selection of other artists' songs, comes 'NEW BLOOD'.

'NEW BLOOD' features re-imagined arrangements of many of Peter's songs which dispense with the traditional weapons of the rock armoury - no guitar, or drum kits - the lyrics are exposed and laid bare, often taking new meaning with the passing of the years. 'NEW BLOOD' is due for release on the 10th October.

This treatment is applied with painstaking attention to detail and stunning effect to songs including 'Digging In The Dirt', 'Don't Give Up', 'Downside Up', 'Intruder', 'Mercy Street' ' The Rhythm of the Heat' and the spine tingling, atmospheric 'San Jacinto'. Working together, acclaimed composer and arranger John Metcalfe, Peter and the New Blood Orchestra have given each track a new depth and a powerful significance. These tracks were recorded with a 46-piece orchestra, conducted by Ben Foster.

In addition to the album's 12 songs, there's a special bonus track of 'Solsbury Hill' (introduced by 'A Quiet Moment'; 5-minutes of ambient sound recorded by Peter's long-term engineer, Dickie Chappell, actually on Solsbury Hill).

'NEW BLOOD' tracklisting:
  • The Rhythm of the Heat
  • Downside Up (ft. Melanie Gabriel)
  • San Jacinto
  • Intruder
  • Wallflower
  • In Your Eyes
  • Mercy Street
  • Red Rain
  • Darkness
  • Don't Give Up (ft. Ane Brun)
  • Digging in the Dirt
  • The Nest that Sailed the Sky
  • A Quiet Moment
  • Solsbury Hill (bonus track)
The album will be available as a standard single-disc & digital download. There will also be a special edition 2-CD version of New Blood which will include the standard album plus a disc of instrumental versions with an added bonus track. In addition there is a heavyweight vinyl version that comes with a bonus 7" featuring 'A Quiet Moment' and 'Solsbury Hill'. The vinyl will be available from November 7th.

'NEW BLOOD' Special Edition tracklisting:
  • The Rhythm of the Heat (instrumental)
  • Downside Up (instrumental)
  • San Jacinto (instrumental)
  • Intruder (instrumental)
  • Wallflower (instrumental)
  • In Your Eyes (instrumental)
  • Mercy Street (instrumental)
  • Red Rain (instrumental)
  • Darkness (instrumental)
  • Don't Give Up (instrumental)
  • Digging in the Dirt (instrumental)
  • The Nest that Sailed the Sky (instrumental)
  • Blood of Eden (bonus track)
'NEW BLOOD' was inspired by the concept of 'Scratch My Back' after Peter and arranger John Metcalfe started to apply orchestral arrangements to some of Peter's own songs for the accompanying tour, culminating in a filmed concert, 'New Blood - Live In London', at Hammersmith Apollo on March 23rd this year which will be made available as a 3D, Blu-ray and standard DVD - out on October 23rd through Eagle Rock Entertainment.

New Blood Live In London

March 23/24, 2011 - The occasion is a two-night mini-residency of Peter Gabriel and the New Blood Orchestra at west London's Hammersmith Apollo as they premiere the songs that constitute Peter's new album, New Blood. These are choice cuts from the Gabriel back catalogue (with a sprinkling of covers from last year's Scratch My Back project) recharged in the hands of the orchestra and their skilful arranger John Metcalfe.

The sense of occasion is further heightened by the presence of a film crew, a platoon of cameramen bedecked in scarlet boiler suits. But this is no straightforward documenting of a concert - many of this crew are clasping 3D cameras, capturing that wraparound experience. After all, Peter Gabriel never takes the easiest, most convenient, most obvious route - at least not when there are more interesting diversions to be experienced.

New Blood Live In London is a visual feast: the drama of the orchestra, conducted by the spirited Ben Foster; the stage bathed in red light and shadows; huge onstage screens with graphics, animation and imagery blending to enhance and illustrate the music.

DVD Tracklisting:
  • Intruder
  • Wallflower
  • The Boy in the Bubble
  • Apres Moi
  • The Drop
  • Washing of the Water
  • The Book of Love
  • Darkness
  • The Power of the Heart
  • Biko
  • San Jacinto
  • Digging in the Dirt
  • Signal to Noise
  • Downside Up
  • Mercy Street
  • The Rhythm of the Heat
  • Blood of Eden
  • Red Rain
  • Solsbury Hill
  • In Your Eyes
  • Don't Give Up
  • The Nest that Sailed the Sky
The film was directed by Blue Leach.

New Blood Live In London is available on DVD, 2D Blu-ray, and 3D Blu-ray.

3D Blu-ray Triple Pack contains the 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray and DVD.

Bonus feature - Blood Donors - the story behind the project including an interview with Peter Gabriel (2D Blu-ray and DVD only)

There is also the New Blood Deluxe Package which contains the DVD housed in a 60-page hardback photobook.

New Blood Deluxe Edition

Contains New Blood Live In London DVD and Blu-ray (does not include 3D disc), New Blood (album), Live Blood (highlights recorded at the New Blood Live In London show), housed in a 60-page hardback photobook.

New Blood's journey started almost three years ago, when Peter Gabriel began working with John Metcalfe on Peter's original orchestral project, Scratch My Back, where he covered others' songs to a symphonic accompaniment. The successful marriage between Peter's voice, John and Peter's arrangements and the brilliance of the orchestra led to rapturously received live shows. These then precipitated the New Blood record, which itself begat the New Blood Live In London shows, and the resulting films.

This Deluxe Book is a visual and musical document to that project. Opening with an introduction written by Peter, the beautifully presented book features over 200 photographs taken by Real World's photographer, York Tillyer, with a contribution from Italian photographer, Armando Gallo. With access to all the recording and mixing sessions, the rehearsals, the shows and behind the scenes, York has created a unique collection of images, giving a fascinating insight into the New Blood project, from start to finish.

The release date is the 24 Oct 2011.

So apparently,
- I overlooked the vinyl edition
- The track listing of the 2nd CD differs from the 1st CD
- There is a 2D BD and a 3D BD and the bundle contains both Blu-ray Discs plus the DVD (I didn't get though why they would bundle the 3D BD and the DVD rather than both Blu-ray Discs; this triple pack makes a little more sense but I still don't get the attraction. Is the 3D BD also available separately?)
- The Deluxe edition lacks the 3D BD but contains many oher goodies

No mention of a high-res (let alone multichannel) version of the studio album this time but I guess the Blu-ray Discs fill that need.

BTW, pre-order is already available on Amazon.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Just talking to myself here...)

Amazon UK does list:
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm listening. Been a Gabriel fan since about '79. I gots his vinyl.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I've got his first four albums on vinyl but I only got into Peter Gabriel circa 1986, by So. I got into Genesis a few years earlier (the 'Mama album') and into Phil Collins' solo albums by In the air tonight, so that must have been around 1981. It's Gabriel's work I appreciate most though. How I wish all his albums had been redone in 5.1 for SACD.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I wanted to write but forgot: I've been looking for a while for this special version of Here comes the flood by Peter Gabriel with Robert Fripp, with only his voice, piano and frippertronics. Breathtaking. My former brother-in-law had the 1978 Exposure album on vinyl. Last time I check I couldn't seem to find the track on iTunes so I guess I'll just have to buy the whole album. I can't remember what the rest sounded like but it's probably not a torture to listen to.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of those interested in Peter Gabriel's SACDs: Most of them are still available, notably through Amazon UK, though not at the original prices.

Just have a look at http://www.ps3sacd.com/music.html#g

Note that except for Up which is multichannel+stereo, all his other SACDs are just stereo.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
What I wanted to write but forgot: I've been looking for a while for this special version of Here comes the flood by Peter Gabriel with Robert Fripp, with only his voice, piano and frippertronics. Breathtaking. My former brother-in-law had the 1978 Exposure album on vinyl. Last time I check I couldn't seem to find the track on iTunes so I guess I'll just have to buy the whole album. I can't remember what the rest sounded like but it's probably not a torture to listen to.

I have that album (vinyl). Haven't listened to it in about 20 years though. I'll have to spin it tomorrow for a listen.

Don't see the track alone anywhere either. They do have the CD at Amazon though.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew, that took a while. It seems I'll scratch yours is finally coming out after all. I though it wasn't going to happen anymore.

Quote:
Peter will release his 'And I'll Scratch Yours' album project on September 23rd 2013 through Real World. The album is the concluding part of a series of song exchanges in which he and other leading artists reinterpret each other's songs.

'Scratch My Back' was originally released in 2010 and now makes its second coming, this time accompanied by 'And I'll Scratch Yours'. Peter is delighted with how many artists signed up for the project and bearing in mind the calibre and careers of those artists whose songs he selected, it's rather incredible that all but two songwriters were able to reciprocate. (For those uncompleted swaps, Joseph Arthur and Feist willingly entered the fray with their respective versions of Shock The Monkey and Don't Give Up)...

I can't find it on Amazon yet but the release date is stated as 23 September. There is this page on the RealWorld site:

https://realworldrecords.com/store/product/10244/scratch-my-back-and-ill-scratch-yours-digital/

with tracks seemingly available, though like the whole album that's apparently just for pre-order.

Also not clear: Will the album be available separately or only as a bundle with Scratch my back?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal. Probably took that long for the lawyers and agents to agree on terms.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, very good.

Still nothing on Amazon.com, but I do see the album on Amazon UK – both as standalone album and as double CD (which means that you'll miss the second CD from the first double CD...) with different artwork, BTW.

Arrow And I'll Scratch Yours [Audio CD]

Arrow Scratch My Back/And I'll Scratch Yours [Double CD]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: