PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

classical bullsh**

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: classical bullsh** Reply with quote

why does it seem that 75% of the sacd releases are clasical music? did bach, chopin, wagner, and mozart rise from the dead and start writing new music? are most sacd listeners museum curators or symphony conductors? I like classical music and will probably pick up a few of those sacds eventually. but don't new artists typically sell better than piano concertos hundreds of years old? i'm just wondering why there are so many releases of these classical albums but no led zeppelin or the clash. or anything released in this century it seems from a popular artist. dualdisc has newer artists. so does dvd audio. is it that the licensing is cheaper from symphonies as opposed to popular artists and the profit margins from sacd are slim as it is?
buckshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely apologize. I now see that there are some newer albums on sacd:

beyonce
death cab for cutie
ludacris: chicken and beer

ooooooo. I know what i'm getting for xmas.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the estimate of 25% non-classical content on SACD is rather optimistic, especially for what's been released the last 2-3 years. I think classical makes up 90-95% of the new titles.

I'm not sure why. Probably the break-even point for a classical SACD release lies lower than for a pop title. Perhaps also the consumer audience -- though smaller -- buys more music and is better prepared to pay full price because they appreciate good quality and surround sound better.

Interestingly, the constant stream of 60-70 (virtually all classical) titles monthly appears to be issued by relatively small, specialized record labels -- not the majors.

My wish is for record companies to follow the example set by Mute Records, who reissued the entire album catalogue of Depeche Mode in 5.1-channel hybrid SACDs. There's so much music from the past few decades that would sound might interesting in surround.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it may may be difficult on other sites that list more or less all SACD titles to find back the precious few pop music titles between them, that's why that's the (almost) exclusice topic on the PS3SACD.com music page.
buckshot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is true. but still. it seems the only pop music available is genesis, bjork, and some band named can. oh and death cab for cutie.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckshot wrote:
that is true. but still. it seems the only pop music available is genesis, bjork, and some band named can. oh and death cab for cutie.

There are over 800 listed here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_ex_p_36_0?ie=UTF8&rs=694208&sort=price&rh=n%3A229816%2Cp%5Fn%5Fbinding%5Fbrowse-bin%3A382529011%2Cn%3A694208

But I wouldn't buy many!
Wink
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Aren't Classical music listeners audiopilies? or Audio naturalist.
Pop music is proccesed, compressed and altered before its even put on CD. They just don't sound live and organic as a symphony orchestra in surroud sound.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, generally speaking at least.

I, as a pop music afficionado, am not looking for an puristic natural reproduction of a performance -- I'm looking for fantastic soundscapes that immerse me in the music. Surround sounds litterally can add a whole new dimension to studio music.

The Depeche Mode series did a great job in that sense. I'm hoping more popular artists making electronic music will discover the opportunities that SACD offers.
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
Correct, generally speaking at least.

I, as a pop music afficionado, am not looking for an puristic natural reproduction of a performance -- I'm looking for fantastic soundscapes that immerse me in the music. Surround sounds litterally can add a whole new dimension to studio music.

The Depeche Mode series did a great job in that sense. I'm hoping more popular artists making electronic music will discover the opportunities that SACD offers.

It depends what music you put into the popular category. In the UK, pop music can be generally said to teb anything that is played on BC Radio 2. And that ranges from Country, RnB, acoustic, rock, etc. Bascially, anything that is not classical or opera. And I want high fidelity in everything that uses musical instruments, thank you very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: