PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best SACD-related feature upgrade on PS3 in 2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best SACD-related feature upgrade on PS3 in 2007
DSD Disc playback (v1.60)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bitmapping type 1 (v1.80)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bitmapping type 2 (v1.90)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bitmapping type 3 (v2.10)
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
DSD-to-DTS conversion (v2.00)
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Best SACD-related feature upgrade on PS3 in 2007 Reply with quote

What's the best Super Audio CD-related feature improvement that Sony realized on PlayStation3 in 2007?
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still unclear on what the bitmapping stuff does, even after reading the FAQ. I've never heard noises (?) or distortion in any of my music.
And what exactly is Type 3 enchancing about the audio?
I'm only using stereo RCA for audio, maybe thats why I hear no difference in sound no matter what setting I choose.

But as for the best I'd have to say that the 2.00 DSD to DTS conversion was the most important since I originally bought the PS3 at launch thinking that SACD through optical was not an issue.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type 3 output over HDMI is pretty incredible sounding. Very very noticeably better than what I used to get from my SCD-555ES.

BB
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
The type 3 output over HDMI is pretty incredible sounding. Very very noticeably better than what I used to get from my SCD-555ES.

BB

Have to agree here, and true for CD as well as SACD. A big hand goes to teh Sony engineers for not only supporting the high-end AV capabilities of the PS3 but also delivering the sonic results with aplomb! And just to think that the PS3 is converting DSD to PCM and then outputting via HDMI. Great job! Woudl be very interestign to compare to a DSD conversion done straight to analogue (?) within the Oknyo 805 receiver!

As for the SACD to DTS, yes a useful thing for people with only optical input receivers. But don't forget DTS is a lossy format where as SACD uses lossless encoding so you do lose something.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably getting pretty similar sound to me. I recently got an Onkyo Pro SC885 preamp, largely similar to your 805.

I was actually referring to the CD playback. I am not sure the bit shaping is applied to SACD, even with the PCM conversion.

BB
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
You're probably getting pretty similar sound to me. I recently got an Onkyo Pro SC885 preamp, largely similar to your 805.

I was actually referring to the CD playback. I am not sure the bit shaping is applied to SACD, even with the PCM conversion.

BB

The manual says it si applied to SACD and CD.
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Also see FAQ.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know.

BB
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if it would play back lossless audio from my network and apply this, I would be all set. I don't suppose it applies any of this processing to stuff streamed to it though. Yet.

BB
FunkyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Now if it would play back lossless audio from my network and apply this, I would be all set. I don't suppose it applies any of this processing to stuff streamed to it though. Yet.

BB

The way to check is see what your receiver tells you. If it is upsampling the music then, yes, it is processing it.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew that, the problem is there's no way to get the PS3 to playback ALAC files at all. All the DLNA streaming client convert to lossy codecs.

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: