PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS3 - firmware downgrade and/or blu-ray drive replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eastwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: PS3 - firmware downgrade and/or blu-ray drive replacement Reply with quote

I am trying to get myself a PS3 with SACD capability. The only model which comes in question is the CECH-C04 one (60GB PAL model) as I live in a PAL region.

I have found this specific model with either a higher firmware version than 3.55 or with a problematic blu-ray drive. So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to downgrade this model from a higher than 3.55 firmware to 3.55? Will any soldering and additional equipment be needed for this?
2. If the blu-ray drive of this model is replaced with a new one will this have an effect on SACD playback capability?

Thanks for any help.
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PS3 - firmware downgrade and/or blu-ray drive replacemen Reply with quote

Eastwood wrote:
I am trying to get myself a PS3 with SACD capability. The only model which comes in question is the CECH-C04 one (60GB PAL model) as I live in a PAL region.

I don't think that should matter unless you intend to interface at the analog (CVBS composite) video level. If I'm not mistaken they (at least the old fat models) are multi-voltage (110-230V) and probably any display you'll connect to via HDMI can handle NTSC as well as PAL.

Quote:
I have found this specific model with either a higher firmware version than 3.55 or with a problematic blu-ray drive. So I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to downgrade this model from a higher than 3.55 firmware to 3.55? Will any soldering and additional equipment be needed for this?

Not sure on this one, but as far as I recall downgrading was always problematic, but since the cracking possible up to 3.55. Since then it's impossible. The reason you need something up to 3.55, not higher, is not because of SACD support beyond that but because of (the lack of) hackability.

Quote:
2. If the blu-ray drive of this model is replaced with a new one will this have an effect on SACD playback capability?

Most likely yes. Unless they kept a large stock of original BD drives, but I doubt that.
Eastwood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let me rephrase my original question: It's not the complete drive that's being replaced, it's only the laser unit which needs replacing. Will replacing just the laser unit and not the complete drive have an effect on SACD playback capability?
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. It might.

Strictly speaking, the laser unit of a BD/DVD/CD drive would be the same as that of a BD/DVD/SACD/CD drive since DVD and SACD use the same wavelength, but it depends where the component that takes care of SACD copy protection (PSP) is positioned. For all I know it has to be very close to the laser due to the high-frequency signal and is typically placed on the OPU (optical pick-up unit). That could differ from design to design though, and I'm not familiar enough with SCE's.

I fear though that your PS3's SACD playback capability may be affected. It's best to ask them first.
Eastwood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent an email to Sony Europe's support asking about this, hopefully they will be kind enough to reply with some useful information which I will share here.
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

I didn't know you were based in Europe. I'm not sure if it makes any difference within SCE but in Home A/V I'd expect a little more support for SACD from the European organisation than from the American one.
Eastwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the reply I got was not helpful in technical terms. They only said that should a malfunction appear, Sony's policy is to replace the complete console. The replacement unit will have the exact same capabilities as the original one.

So my question remains unanswered...
Jens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they replace it by a console with the exact same capabilities as the original one rather than just any random PS3 (with perhaps the same size HDD capacity or better) that sounds quite reassuring.
Eastwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the replacement console will definitely have a firmware version different than my original one and it will most probably be higher than 3.55.

Oh well...
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I forgot for a moment that that's important too. For sure they will give you a unit with the latest system software if they have to exchange it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: