PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dedicated Home Theater Peripherals for PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Dedicated Home Theater Peripherals for PS3 Reply with quote

Considering how much confusion there is in the marketplace regarding connections, codecs and general interoperability of AV receivers with PlayStation3, I think it would be a safe bet for Sony to introduce an AV receiver dedicated to PS3. Although this will surely turn off some people, I think they should do it in the same styling as the console itself, or at least something that complements it well. It needn't have all sorts of inputs -- just an HDMI input for the console, an HDMI output to daisychain it to a display, perhaps a secondary HDMI input for some set-top box (digital satellite/TV reception) and of course outputs to all speakers.

Perhaps the speakers should be part of the package, too. Accessory maker Logic3 recently made an attempt in this direction with the SoundStation for PS3 (reviewed here). Unfortunately it's stereo only and it looks a little cheap (in fact it is cheap at GBP 70). Clearly they made an effort to stick to the look of PS3.

In fact it wouldn't be a first for Sony. For PS2, they released a home theater package called SA-PSD5 (reviewed here in Japanese).

This speaker set incorporated a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder and amplifier in the subwoofer. All were styled to match with the PlayStation2 console.

Other manufacturers make products to perform just these sort of functions. An example is Denon's cute little AVC-M380 (reviewed here in Japanese, along with several other add-on audio products for consoles).

While I'm at it, I like it when a front projector matches nicely too. Panasonic's new HD projector TH-AE2000 (announced here, reviewed here in Japanese) would probably look great next to a PS2.

Sony's new HD projector VPL-VW60 looks great, too, though. And I especially like the glossy black look of the VPL-VW200. I wouldn't mind that sitting next to my PS3...

Anyway, I wonder when we'll see such a home theater offering for PS3 from Sony. Question is perhaps whether this should come from Sony's Home AV division or from Sony Computer Entertainment but frankly that doesn't bother me and apparently the company managed to sort this out for the PS2 package described above (I'm just not sure which division made it in the end).

Oh, and one more suggestion to Sony: If you make such a unit, please let it handle DSD via HDMI and enable output of it on PS3 in the next system software upgrade, so we can enjoy SACD in the best possible way.
oldman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of the nice compact Denon AVC-M380 receiver

currently using a basic 5.1 optical setup using Creative Labs Inspire 5500 5.1 Digital, which has a nice small receiver

would like to upgrade to a basic and compact hdmi receiver, possibly 7.1, but mainly hdmi so i can get full support for multichannel sacd playback - but there just doesn't seem to be any that aren't the size of three stacked dvd players!
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thing advertised on MCV UK real? Does 4gamers still exist? They used to make a 2.1-channel system that looked like a GameCube.

If so, they did a real effort staying in line with Wii styling. More than necessary if you ask me. I fail to see the point of nunchuck-styled speakers, especially with that faux analogue stick on it. What is that anyway? A volume knob?

Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your console RIGHT next to the woofer module does not seem like a brilliant idea.

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. though this review mentions no such objections.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/07/4gamers_wii_speaker_system/
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above link referred just to the plain article. Here's the actual review:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/27/review_wii_2_1_speaker_system/
bdole

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony HT-SS2000 is not a bad complement.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665186457

Although intended as a complement to their standalone Blu-Ray player, it has a slim form factor, digital-only inputs (3 HDMI) and outputs, 5.1 speakers included, and performs reasonably well at $400. It is missing DSD via HDMI ability as it can only decode LPCM.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that does say something about Sony's intentions regarding the PS3 (or any of their other BD decks) gaining a DSD streaming capability.
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdole wrote:
The Sony HT-SS2000 is not a bad complement. Although intended as a complement to their standalone Blu-Ray player, it has a slim form factor, digital-only inputs (3 HDMI) and outputs, 5.1 speakers included, and performs reasonably well at $400.

Not bad. Considering the 'balance' between sales of dedicated BD players vs PS3 units I'm wondering whether this was the best solution. Or why not both, alternatively?

PS: this page mentions an HT-SS2300. Same product or a successor?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon.com only mentions the Sony HT-SS2000.

For your convenience, we've added this product to our AV Receiver overview (plus a link on the homepage)
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't specifically mention PS3 and frankly the styling doesn't look like they made it to match but today Sony announced this nimble package, consisting of a subwoofer with built-in amplifier and 3 HDMI inputs plus 5 golfball-sized speakers, HT-IS100. Suggested retail price ¥ 90,000.

See http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20080521/sony.htm or http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200805/08-0521/.

Personally I like my speakers with a little more solid build quality. I love the heavy feel of the first PS3 (as well as the first PS2, for that matter). These flimsy-looking speakers are rather what I'd expect to go with a redesigned lightweight console by the end of its lifecycle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: