PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HD-AAC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
[...] The article makes no mention of surround sound though. Then again we've got MP3 Surround from the same family tree. That makes me wonder whether we'll see a 'battle' between HD-AAC and MP3 Surround for capturing the two different main benefits of SACD and DVD-Audio but I doubt it. MP3 Surround has been out for over a year and failed to make much impact thus far. Probably because of the lack of source material. I have not heard of any SACD ripping software and I don't expect we will while the format remains uncracked. Does such a thing exist for DVD-Audio? If so, perhaps it will soon have two options: rip to MP3 Surround and rip to HD-AAC -- until somebody realizes we need a format that supports both high resolution and surround sound. HD-AAC Surround, anyone?

For more about MP3 Surround see http://www.all4mp3.com/

This also makes me wornder when (if ever) we'll see an MP3 Surround decoder for PS3 -- and an HD-AAC decoder.

According to AV Watch v2.40, due tomorrow, adds support for MP3 Surround (with conversion to PCM).
Yuri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
HD-AAC Surround, anyone?

I'm not sure if goes together with HD but there is such a thing as AAC 5.1. This Fujitsu 'FMV-TEO C90D' PC supports it (in addition to BD and a lot of other formats), and so does PS3 it seems (I gather from some search results).
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now there is mp3HD.

See Thomson's press announcement at http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/Corporate/News/PressReleases/Pages/Thomson-Introduces-mp3HD-FileFormat.aspx

Quote:
The new mp3HD format allows mathematically lossless compression of audio material while preserving backward compatibility to the mp3 standard.

There's no mention of 5.1 here. I guess mp3HD will compete with FLAC, where the two differences I can see are
  • "backwards compatibility with MP3" but this must be achieved artificially, after all lossy and lossless compression are two entirely different schemes. Besides, what audio playback device doesn't support MP3 decoding?
  • FLAC is free, so who needs mp3HD?

I guess they're just trying to milk the brand recognition of the "MP3" name.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read, this seems to be a poorly thought out plan.

It is a compressed lossless file with a regular lossy compressed MP3 file joined to it.

So they somehow thing the convenience of only keeping track of one file outweighs the fact that the large lossless portion will eat up your portable music storage memory 5 times as fast.

Can't see this going anywhere.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp3HD is an attempt at "evergreening", or adding onto a prior patent (mp3, in this case, expires in 2012) in the hopes of extending its lifetime for more licensing revenue. Thomson has done this before, with mp3PRO.

FLAC is free and already established, so this lame cash grab will fail. Rolling Eyes

Good riddance, I say! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: