PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS3 to play SA-CD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGW76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: PS3 to play SA-CD Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a PS3 that will play SA-CD. I am able to purchase a used 60GB unit which does play SA-CD, however this would cost me more than purchasing a new 80GB unit which does not play SA-CD. I would like to use the PS3 with the following equipment:

I have a 42" Philips 1080p LCD which has the necessary HDMI port. I am using an entry level Sony STR-DG500 AV Receiver which does not have an HDMI input...

On the ps3sacd.com website it shows the following:

"I’ve got an other/older receiver. Can I still enjoy multichannel SA-CD?

As long as you’ve got multichannel PCM input you’re OK. Otherwise, if you’ve got Dolby Digital and DTS, you can still enjoy games, DVDs and Blu-ray Disc in surround sound but not SA-CD – except if you process it with a feature like Dolby Pro Logic II but that’s not quite how it’s supposed to be experienced."

I have tried searches regarding which cable would be required for this setup however am unable to find anything. What I would like to know is:

1) what cable would I need to purchase and where from?
2) is it worth paying the extra for the PS3 which does support SA-CD or is the standard DD5.1 or DTS satisfactory?

Many thanks, Brad
Brandon B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3 does not have multichannel analog outputs. Therefore the only way (ignoring old unavailable firmware versions) to get multichannel music off an SACD is over HDMI. Which means you need a receiver/preamp that accepts hi resolution multichannel input over HDMI.

You can get stereo hi rez off the SACD over the Toslink optical output. You should check what the max bit rate/frequency your receiver will take over optical is, though.

Piping the audio into your TV over HDMI will do nothing. Your TV is not going to convert it to multichannel analog to output.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
You can get stereo hi rez off the SACD over the Toslink optical output. You should check what the max bit rate/frequency your receiver will take over optical is, though.

No, don't bother checking because that's not what it depends on here. Simply don't bother with Toslink for SACD playback: The PCM output PS3 delivers here from DSD is a 16-bit 44.1 kHz stereo conversion i.e. no better than plain CD.

You'll need a new HDMI-equipped AV receiver, or (for the same money or less) you may be able to obtain a regular SACD player with mutlichannel analog outputs and use that with your current receiver.

If it's only high-quality stereo you're after then just use the analog audio output from PS3 and you're done.

As for the Dolby Digital/DTS 'alternative' don't let your choice depend on that -- they hardly compete with SACD but are complementary. Very little content is available both on SACD and DTS disc, most only uniquely on either.
If you've got several SACD discs or are eyeing some then definitely go for the 60GB model.
mister_playboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60GB is a good investment which will maintain its value, due to its superior capabilities.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
No, don't bother checking because that's not what it depends on here. Simply don't bother with Toslink for SACD playback: The PCM output PS3 delivers here from DSD is a 16-bit 44.1 kHz stereo conversion i.e. no better than plain CD.

Oh. I'd assumed since you could get hi rez stereo off a BD, the same was true for SACD.

The Seventh Taylor wrote:
If it's only high-quality stereo you're after then just use the analog audio output from PS3 and you're done.

Is the DAC output of the PS3 any good? I don't remember being very pleased with it, but it was two years ago that I last tried it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: