PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good and bad resellers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: good and bad resellers Reply with quote

i've been burned a few times recently when it comes to buying used sacds online. has anyone noticed a lower occurance of this at certain sites and higher occurances elsewhere? i've been burned by amazon resellers and half.com resellers. half.com was annoying because i even asked the person if it was an sacd, to which they responded yes. its getting to the point where i may just buy them at full price just to avoid the hassle. i've been screwed out of thriller and now the top gun soundtrack. Evil or Very Mad makes me want to do mean things.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just no longer trust online private party sellers to be on the ball. I don't necessarily ascribe screwups to malice, but I do assume most people don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Tried twice in the last several years to buy a used turntable,and both times the seller sent me a turntable that was as advertised, except they just dropped it into the box with a bit of padding and expected UPS to gently transport it. Both arrived destroyed after the system had their way with it, bouncing the tonearms and platters all over the place.

New is more expensive, but it sure is less hassle.

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have not been disappointed with my online SACD purchases but I must admit I've bought only one or so via Amazon.

I've bought numerous SACDs via eBay but mostly from large vendors with 5 or 6-digit feedback scores. I'm cautious though.

There a few treasures out there I'm trying to hunt down and I know (from my selling experience on eBay) that for some albums the template data available only contains the SACD version (Groove Armada's Vertigo is one you'll see advertised frequently) so I will always ask the seller for a confirmation first, especially if it's a small-time seller. Last time I got an answer like "how do I tell if it's an SACD?" so I knew enough.
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The items you see advertised in the eBay box below are probably a case in point that some sellers have absolutely no clue what SACD is.

Still, some 90% or so looks genuine and the other 10% is so out-of-category that there's little reason for doubt.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost got burned by Amazon. Bought a few more of the ABKCO Stones releases thinking they were still the stereo hybrids (UPC numbers are unchanged), but evidently the digipak hybrids have been out of print for a while and the new ones are jewel case CD-only versions of the DSD remasters. But they turned up when I searched under Stones and SACD, and Amazon is completely willing to give me a refund for returning them, so no big deal. They do need to fix their search results though.

Evidently they had a few left even a few months ago, going by the comments on the page as some received the SACD versions.

BB
dvda-sacd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased many SACDs via Amazon and eBay. I also buy on CD Pacific. No problem so far.

BR,

Leo
Superman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with Amazon itself for SACD. I only trust third party sellers on Amazon that have 98% good feedback or better. Newbury Comics is by far the best seller on there. It's impossible to know if you're getting a sacd with the Abkco sacds when ordering over the internet as they discontinued the sacds and used the same exact UPC number for the redbook only reissues.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least with the stones SACD releases, the packaging is different. The new versions are standard plastic jewel cases, and the older hybrids are cardboard digipaks. When we phoned Amazon about it, they were kind enough to check if any of the older type were left in stock.

BB
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again today I saw items advertised in the box below like an audio version of the Quran. Obviously not an SACD but when I select 'report this item' on eBay the only options I get are:

• Copying of your listing
  • Counterfeits and copyright violations
  • Prohibited (banned items)
  • Listing policy violations (improper keywords, outside links, excessive shipping, etc)
  • eBay Motors or vehicle related
  • Fraudulent listings (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive item, etc
  • Stolen property

Apparently listing something in a wrong category does not violate eBay's policies?
buckshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit. again. i ordered good bye yellow brick road. and it arrived.......missing the 2nd disc. gohastings on amazon has burned me for a 2nd time. damn resellers.

add/edit:
its still a damn good album though. loving it.

Last edited by buckshot on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dannyjl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll find out real soon as I placed a few orders orders this week with Amazon resellers for some sacd's and a few blu-rays. I got a few Peter Gabriel sacd's on ebay earlier this year and they were legit. Those did have pictures of the disks and I could actually see they were bonafide sacd's. I was almost tempted to get that Top Gun disk you got burned on buckshot. It's only a stereo mix so didn't think it would be that great. One seller certainly didn't know his stuff as he had listed this sacd version of Top Gun as the 1986 release.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
I almost got burned by Amazon. Bought a few more of the ABKCO Stones releases thinking they were still the stereo hybrids (UPC numbers are unchanged), but evidently the digipak hybrids have been out of print for a while and the new ones are jewel case CD-only versions of the DSD remasters. But they turned up when I searched under Stones and SACD, and Amazon is completely willing to give me a refund for returning them, so no big deal. They do need to fix their search results though.

Evidently they had a few left even a few months ago, going by the comments on the page as some received the SACD versions.

BB

Just nabbed Their Satanic Majesties' Request on SACD at a CD store in Tokyo, still new in the pack. Now I have to look around and see if there are mor lurking in stores.

BB
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last November when I was in Akihabara, Tokyo, I was astounded to come across an SACD/DVD-Audio specialty shop. Well, sort of. It also has a handful of XRCDs and audiophile vinyl and such but the entire ground floor is almost completely filled with SACDs. (The other floors are stocked with regular CDs with jazz and classical music).

The shop is called 'Jazz & Classic' and is a branch of a chain of shops called Ishimaru scattered around the Akihabara district. (The others sell J-pop, DVDs, A/V equipment, etc.) They're also present in a few other Japanese cities.

This is what the shops looks like: See http://www.ishimaru.co.jp/store/1100/
The address is also listed here (but only in Japanese). It's the "Soft 3" shop on this map: http://www.ishimaru.co.jp/MAP/car.html

If only such shops existed outside Japan...

*sighs*

Good luck on your SACD hunt!
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I will check that out tomorrow.

BB
Brandon B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon B wrote:
Thanks!

I will check that out tomorrow.

BB

Nabbed Aftermath and Flowers from the Stones, and Yellowbrick Road. Pretty good selection f jazz, classical and japanese titles, and not bad on the mainstream american stuff, but not complete.

They had most of the DePeche Mode stuff, some Genesis, tons of Dylan, etc.

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: