PS3SACD.com Home

HomeHome   Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SONY Phasing out SACD from PS3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivanlondres

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Is SONY Phasing out SACD from PS3? Reply with quote

I know 80gb ps3 have disapeared from market, as well as the 60gb version. I am in country where these still available, but I would rather wait for the next MSG4 Bundle (PS3 80gb) to finally get mine...

The only thing that scares the hell out of me is Sony deciding to take SACD support from ps3....Do you guys see this happening??

Regards
bdole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see this happening.

Everything I've read about the 80gig re-release with MGS4 suggests that it's the same machine. The day after the initial press release, Sony reassured their forum members that the new machine would have the same PS2 software emulation and features as before.

Besides, I saw somewhere else that Sony was releasing several HTIB systems which play SACD. They haven't given up on it yet.
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be an 80GB PS3 MGS4 bundle in the US? If so, it must be SACD-compatible.

In Japan, Sony releases a special edition of the not SACD-compatible 40GB PS3 with MGS4 (in a cool metal look, by the way). This is a limited edition that's apparently sold out already.

As for the new Sony Bravia SACD-compatible home theatre systems there's a thread about that here.

Last edited by The Seventh Taylor on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ivanlondres

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear your opinion. I think I should wait.

It looks to me will be a 80gb bundle, and hopefully sacd compatible.
dieroboter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony's E3 conference just ended. They announced that the 80GB model will be now the core version. It's the hardware same as 40GB, but with a twice bigger hard disk. Price is 399.99$

You know what this means.

Sad
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieroboter wrote:
You know what this means.

Yeah, lots of confusion about specs of 'the 80GB model'!

And Jack Tretton is even reported to have said "This new 80 GB PS3 is perfectly suited for HD games, music, movies and more."

What HD music? DSD Disc perhaps?
PS3SACD
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces New 80GB PLAYSTATION(R)3, Limited Edition PlayStation(R)2 Bundle, and PlayStation(R)Portable Entertainment Pack at E3 2008

Company Also Launches New PLAYSTATION(R)Network Video Delivery Service and Showcases More Than 140 First-Party and Third-Party Games Across All Platforms

LOS ANGELES, July 15 /PRNewswire/ — Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) held its annual press conference today at the E3 Media & Business Summit, making a series of announcements which demonstrated the strength of the PlayStation brand across all three of its platforms and further leveraged the heritage and momentum of PlayStation's family of products to provide consumers with more compelling entertainment options than anyone in the videogame industry.

Starting in September 2008, the newly announced PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) 80GB model will become the mainstay of the company's hardware line-up. The 80GB model will retail for $399, and will offer all of the features and functionality of the 40GB model with double the storage to accommodate more movies, graphics, music, photos and other entertainment content — all for the same price. As with its predecessor, the new 80GB model will be a complete entertainment system comprising of a Blu-ray(TM) player, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine(TM) and a built-in 80GB hard-disk drive. The multi-functionality of the 80GB PS3, combined with more than 140 exclusive and third-party titles and the PLAYSTATION(R)Network, is a comprehensive entertainment value designed to appeal to a wide range of consumers from hard-core gamers to general entertainment enthusiasts.

(additional information about PSP cut here)

It's not clear what the type number of this model is. CECHI01 would seem to be the logical next number.
Yuri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming SCE(A) is sticking to its "2-SKU strategy" I wonder what the other model is they'll carry the coming months. The other 80GB version, as bundled with MGS4? $399 is surely continuing to be the entry level price (after all, they did not announce a price drop of the 40GB model, and it's going to be replaced, as reported here) so with the 40GB unit going and the 20GB and 60GB models already gone, there can only be the SACD-compatible 80GB model left as the higher-end SKU.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may simply be an HDD capacity increase to counter the recent 360 price drop.
Yuri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct -- it's the 40GB model being phased out -- not the original 80GB model, it seems.
TJ-Max

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 80GB is just the 40GB with a bigger HDD, So there will be a 80GB with SACD and an 80GB without? or will the original one be phased out?
Yuri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Max wrote:
The new 80GB is just the 40GB with a bigger HDD, So there will be a 80GB with SACD and an 80GB without?

For the time being that's what it looks like, although to the general public it may look like different bundles rather than different specs. Thinking of which... I now realize such a price difference ($100/€100) for two machines with specs that for most people hardly differ (PS2 compatibility and SACD playback) may be a situation hard to maintain so probably this will not last long.

I anyway expect they'll come with a 4th main board design (and a new SKU) soon, when the 65nm RSX gets introduced that they announced at E3.
BBowermaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be the alleged/rumored 120gb PS3 everyone is talking about. Its a likely high-end gig size given an 80gb base model.
Yuri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the next announcement will follow at next month's GCDC convention in Leipzig (August 18-20).

I hope it will be something like "the same spec as the original 80GB model but with a larger HDD yet at the same price point"
The Seventh Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source of this information is not verifiable but it suggests the original 80GB model has gone out of production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PS3SACD.com Forum Index -> Equipment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: